A Mixed up Family

A venting place for the day to day problems of combining two families

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

What am I doing wrong?

For the past 6 years, I have been trying to get a job. Not just any job. A teaching job, in the elementary field. Now, many people who read this will not understand. We all hear about how there are shortages in the teaching field. Well, I promise, these shortages are not at the elementary level. The shortages are most likely in the math and science field, or in special education in the upper levels. Or else shortages are in places like New York City. I have spent approximately 3 years in a local district that is considered inner city. When I moved here, people told me not to teach there, comparing it to a "jungle". However, this was much like the district that I worked in when I lived in Georgia. But really, it's better. The kids aren't quite as disrespectful. But even in this district that is considered "undesirable", there are few elementary jobs to be had. I have done long term positions for almost 3 years, but nothing permanent yet. I stay in this district because of the pay. It's $100/day. Other, nicer districts, pay only around $70-$75 a day. Before I got my Master's degree, I wouldn't even get called for interviews. For every elementary position that opens up, they get 300 applications!! I also have a Master's Degree in Literacy. At least now that I have the literacy degree, I have gotten a few interviews. I always think I interview poorly. I get too nervous. But my resume is, I think, pretty impressive. I had scholarships, honors, and my GPA was 3.47 and 3.95. I have very good reference letters. What am I doing wrong?? I am probably going to branch out to other districts in hopes that it will lead me to a job. I know in the district I live in, my son has had teachers that got the job after they were substitutes. This year will be the 3rd year he's had a "new" teacher. I'm wondering if I'm too qualified, and they are choosing the ones they will have to pay less?? I am also planning on getting a special education degree. Then, if I can't get a job, I think I'll just find a new profession. I'm so depressed over this, and could go on and on with what I've gone through. But I don't have the time or the energy right now to get into it. Ugh! I just want to teach. It's been my calling since I was 10 years old!

2 Comments:

  • At 9:34 PM, Blogger Holly said…

    I know what you mean. My mother is a superintendent in CT and they are always looking for teachers, but the fields and levels are always the same. You are not doing anything wrong. I wish you a luck. Your qualifications are obviously stellar.

     
  • At 7:06 PM, Blogger Daria Schaffnit said…

    I have a good friend who is a special ed teacher & she says that unless you are in speial ed, it's really hard to get any kind of permanent position, at least here in Ohio. It's not you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home